About Us March 25th, 2008
PFLAG Pendleton organized several years ago as a group of caring parents providing support for other parents who might be struggling with the “coming out” process their child and family was experiencing.In 2005 PFLAG Pendleton reorganized following the trend across the county to provide support for their GLBTQ families and friends sufferingfrom the stressors of a negative political and social environment. Locally, every meeting offers opportunities for sharing in an open yet confidential dialogue with other members of our community. Each meeting provides a brief educational program and opportunities to work toward changing both private and public opinion.
- When people discover that a family member or friend is lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered, they may experience many conflicting feelings and thoughts. Knowing that lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered people are frequent victims of hate crimes, they may worry about the safety of loved ones.
- Sharing in dialogue with other PFLAG parents, family members and friends, and getting to know some wonderful lesbian, gay,bisexual and transgendered persons is a pathway to understanding, acceptance and renewed family and community relationships.
- PFLAG supports persons through telephone or e-mail requests, our confidential monthly meetings, and referrals to counseling when requested.
- Knowledge that is both scientifically and psychologically sound is absolutely vital to understanding and accepting a lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered family member or friend.
- We educate ourselves and our community through monthly programs led by members and guest speakers, informational brochures, a lending library of books and video tapes, assistance to educators and classes, booths at community events, and e-mail notices.
- As loving parents, family members and friends, we work to secure equal civil rights for all people, especially our lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered loved ones.
- A national rapid response advocacy network keeps local affiliates and members informed of issues calling for immediate response.
- PFLAG responds to local, state, national and international issues with public statements, provision of authoritative educational materials, public appearances and interviews, and occasionally by providing expert testimony at governmental hearings. Telling the personal stories of our families and loved ones offers the most compelling testimony the public can hear.